The War Memorial in Melbourn Street was erected in 1922 to the memory of the servicemen of the town who were killed in the First World War and is now a listed monument.
The central portion of Portland stone contains a group of figures, the centre one being Thomas Cartwright. The other figures represent a bowman at Agincourt, a medieval knight in armour, a soldier of Queen Elizabeth 1, one of Cromwell’s Ironsides, a soldier of George II and one from Wellington’s army at Waterloo. In front is a two-foot high bronze statuette of a private of the First World War with a crow at his feet. On either side of the memorial are the names of those servicemen from the town who were killed during the First and Second World Wars.
During 2001 an extensive renovation was carried out to the War Memorial. At the same time, in order to protect the War Memorial for the future, a Grade II listing was obtained from English Heritage. English Heritage, the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion, North Hertfordshire District Council and Royston Town Council, funded the cost of the renovation.
Close by, in the Priory Gardens, is a further memorial to those who lost their lives in the Second World War. This memorial commemorates those members of the United States Army Air Force 91st Bomb Group, who died whilst stationed at Bassingbourn from 1942 to 1945. The original memorial, a fountain, was dedicated in 1963 and a replacement memorial was dedicated in 1989. The veterans from America return to Royston regularly, bringing with them children and grand-children to foster the long and lasting friendships that were forged during the terrible days of the war.
A Grade II Listed War Memorial
"Tommy" to his friends